Saturday, January 9, 2010

And We're Off...

Nothing makes me happier than the word "free"...except sleeping in, chocolate, and hazelnut latte's. Last weekend was free day at the Denver Art Museum. Since I don't have an artistic bone in my body, we let that one go by. When I saw that today was a free day at the Denver Zoo, I didn't care how cold it was going to be - I was going to see some Polar Bears.

Growing up in a family of seven, you learned how to be frugal (which could be the reason I still wash and reuse ziploc bags - that's embarrassing).  I can still remember the moment I knew I could never show my face in Safeway again, after my mom filled three shopping carts full of cereal because they were "having a sale".

Needless to say, I know that when I have the opportunity to see cute little monkeys, penguins, and hippos for free, I will be there. I blame this on the 'cheap' gene I inherited from my family - the burden I have to bare.

And so we're off - in 45 degree weather- to drive an hour to the zoo - to stand in the cold all day - to see animal's stare unhappily at me - to drive an hour back home - because it's free.

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh that will be so much fun though! if our zoo had a free day I'd totally take advantage too! they have this promotiong - polar bear days - when if it's under 35 degrees or something you get in half price. yeah "we're only going to charge you $5 instead of $10 for frost bite" just isn't enough to get me there. haha! I want to see pictures of your trip! did Tristan love it?

    ReplyDelete